Mon, June 17
22.8 Miles (128.2 total)
Another short day today. After breakfast and packing up the tents, we got started on the ride. Nothing really to report, just keeping a lookout as we navigate traffic.
We've gone through some BUSY pedestrian areas. Some on tiny roads where we have to dismount to get through, others on larger roads with hundreds of people. Place is packed.
We ate pretty good today! I got a doner! This was an instant favorite last time with biked Europe. We also stopped for a sfogliatella (picture included). It was very crispy and flaky. No idea how they get it all layered like that. I thought it was fine. Sometime to try, but once was good.
For dinner, we had pizza at Pizzeria D'Angeli. Best pizza I've had yet on this trip. This is the second time now where it's been almost impossible to pick up - the center of the pizza is super moist, I think from the buffalo mozzarella. Then we stopped at another place for pizza fritta (fried pizza) and a baba, which I've seen everywhere. The pizza fritta kinda sucked - fried dough with a little not great cheese inside. The baba was unique - a light pastry with some type of sweet syrup. Good, but no need to get again. Then we made one more stop for gelato and called it a night.
Things that have bothered me:
-How hard water is to find. You even have to pay at for it at restaurants - I asked one server for tap water, he said no, you pay. Gotta bring a water bottle everywhere.
-Twice now, we've been charged a cover charge for eating in a restaurant. At Pizzeria D'Angeli, we bought a $10 pizza. But the bill came out to $17.50 cuz of the $3.50 for water (0.75 L) and $4 cover!
-Haven't seen an ice cube since landing in Italy. No hotel ice machines, not out to eat, nowhere.
-Hard to find a public restroom. The McDonald's we stopped at required a code, which you just had to ask for, but it's still behind a locked door.
-The elevator at our hotel today costs $0.10 to use... WHAT?!
How do they charge for elevators???
ReplyDeleteWhat’s your weather? 90s here all week. 💕
My mouth's watering looking at those pastries!
ReplyDelete