Mon, June 24
Second rest day in Rome! We got up a little before 6:00am to catch a metro to Vatican City, which means I get another magnet since it counts as it's own country! Luckily, the line wasn't very long when we got there, but less than 30 minutes later, it stretched at least another 100 m back.
St. Peter's Basilica was enormous. Elaborate ceiling, monstrous carvings, and so ornate. There was the holy door, which the Pope only opens once every 25 years (now we've seen two holy doors). There were supposed to be pieces of the cross on which Jesus was crucified, but couldn't find that. But it seemed like the theme of the day was stuff getting covered up and worked on. The papal altar was covered, with only the cross on top exposed. And the Chapel of the Pieta had a wall blocking it. Both would've been something to see. Then we went on a Rick Steves walking tour of Rome, and at least 75% of the fountains had fences around them and weren't running. Even the Trevi Fountain was empty! We did see the cafe that inspired the guy who created Starbucks, so that was cool.
After the tour, we got an early dinner. I had cacio e pepe and tiramisu. Both super tasty, but I really can't wait to have carbonara again!
You’re having a bike tour, history tour and food tour all in one! 🤪. Beautiful pics! Kinda creepy marble sculpture with the skeleton😳
ReplyDeleteSame thing happened to us when we went to Paris in 1999. So much scaffolding getting ready for the millennium! Can’t believe the Trevi Fountain was empty😢
ReplyDeleteThat anonymous is me, Mom🤪. Don’t know why or how to get it to post with y name
ReplyDeleteAre you still in Rome? Check out the Cappucin Crypt…
ReplyDeleteThat tiramisu looks heavenly. I'm soooo glad you finally got to experience Rome! I loved that city. Love you more though.
ReplyDelete