Day 15 - Montreal, Québec

Sun, July 9

Our last rest day in Montreal. We started with a tour of the area using an app on Dad's phone. A couple of things were closed and we had to come back to visit them later, including the Notre-Dame Basilica. This was the first church we ever had to pay to enter. Another unique thing was that the painted glass was not of biblical events, but of the history of Montreal. After the tour, we came back to the hostel to relax a little, then we got some lunch. I went to a kebab place that looked a lot like doner, but striked out again... Nothing beats the doner I had in Europe, and it'll be one of the first things I look for when I go back. Next we did another tour that took us all over. Actually, it was one I put together of a couple places from Dad's app, which then made a path for us to follow. It was fine, but it was a lot of walking. We finally found a bagel place during the tour! I had been looking for the last two days and found nothing. But they were nothing special. I prefer the everything bagels in the US. We got back to the hostel and I showered and washed some clothes, hoping they'd be dry to pack for tomorrow. We got dinner across the street and split a chicken sandwich and a huge bowl of poutine topped with smoked meat. It was our last day here, so we had to get it again. They really hit us with taxes on the bill! Apparently, that's part of the problem with living here - really high taxes. Our bill came out to around $64, and $8 of that was just tax. 
I've been trying and failing to find some maple flavored drinks. We saw a pack of maple flavored Coke at the grocery store a few days ago, but I haven't seen it again since. And I'd like to try a maple flavored beer, but haven't seen that either.
We ended the evening with dessert, of course. And since it's our last day here, I got a beaver tail. It's a thin, fried piece of dough that, plain, kinda tastes like a funnel cake. But there's a lot of toppings you can get, like chocolate, Oreo, apple pie, Reese's, etc. I got a maple flavored one with a scoop of caramel ice cream on top. Perfect way to end our time here.

Comments

  1. Great pics, Bri! Sorry you didn’t find your maple flavored drinks. Love, AB

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment