Day 5 - Ithaca, NY -> Baldwinsville, NY

Thur, June 29
72.8 Miles (268.1 total)

Originally, the plan was to do 55 miles today to Skineateles and 68 tomorrow. But Skineateles had no campsites, warm showers hosts, or hotels, and we were going to ask the police at the station if we could camp somewhere. We scrapped that and did 70 miles to a hotel instead.
We started with the steepest hill we might have ever seen. It got up to 19%, and it was work. We had more uphill after that up to Cornell University. I took a picture in honor of Andy from The Office. Also, the air quality was pretty bad today due to the wildfires in Canada. Super hazy. I wore my neck gaiter over my nose all day, hoping it would help block out the crap in the air. 
Around 20 miles in, we stopped in a driveway to check for stores along the route, and a guy (Jim) and his three kids came out to say hello. They were really nice, but the kids were super touchy, ringing the bells, poking the tires, etc. Jim was actually only visiting his hometown since he now lives in Sao Paulo, the same place Ana, Matt's wife, is from! At about this point, I realized I had left my click-stand at Doug's house. This is what I use instead of a kickstand to keep my bike from falling over. Didn't turn out to be an issue today, but I'm hoping to find a replacement or alternative thing at a bike shop along the way. Towards the end of the ride today, we hopped back on the Erie Canal trail! This is the same trail we took in 2020, going from my house to Pat's in St Louis. Neat to be on it again!
We finally got to our hotel a little after 5:00 pm after having left this morning at 8:30 am. It was a LONG day. But we were thankful to have a room and bed. We biked into town for pizza and called it a day.

Comments